After deciding on my passion project plan, I came up with a list of the problems that I wanted to discuss in my presentation. I started off by listing the problems that I had talked about in my passion project proposal and then included some of the problems that other students in the class told me that they had with the current classroom teaching methods. I came up with the following list of problems to discuss:
- Grading system
- Classroom set-up (tables or desks)
- Way of teaching (visual, auditory, etc.)
- Way of testing students' knowledge
- Amount of homework
- Whether students learn most using activities or worksheets
- Whether students learn best as individuals or groups
- How gifted students and students that need extra help should be treated
I may come up with more problems to address as I continue getting more in depth in my passion project, but this list is a good start for my project. I also came up with a list of interview questions for students. I can interview a few students in this class and a few other students that aren't in the gifted and talented class in order to get students' opinions on how they learn best. The interview questions are below:
- What subject causes you the most difficulty in school? - Has a teacher ever done something that helped you do better at this subject?
- Have you ever had a bad classroom experience that lead to you getting a not so great grade (ex. unsupportive teacher, unhelpful group, etc.)?
- What classroom set-up do you think would be the most effective to your learning (sitting at desks, tables, comfy chairs, etc.)?
- How do you learn best (learning style) - auditory, visual, kinesthetic?
- Do you feel that you get too much homework? Do you think homework is needed to back up your lesson? How much homework do you do every night?
- Do you think that tests are necessary to see student’s knowledge? How many tests do you take in a school year? A month? A week?
- Do you enjoy worksheets or classroom activities more? Which do you think is more beneficial to your learning?
- Would you rather work in a group, pair or by yourself? Why? How do teachers usually make you work?
So as of right now, I have come up with the plan I have to complete my passion project, made a list of problems to address, and came up with a list of interview questions. Tomorrow, when I continue working on my passion project, I am going to come up with a list of interview questions for teachers and then I will begin my interviews for both students and teachers.